Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Like a Spark: Title Epiphany


Music is an important part of my writing process. It seems it becomes more vital with every chapter that I write or edit. At present I am almost done my first round of edits for my current project, a YA Fantasy.

My next project a YA Retelling begs every day to be written. In order to satiate the demands of the feral beast that my shiny new idea has become, I made a playlist based on the book, the characters and how I feel about it all. I was listening to the playlist in the car this morning when it came to me-the title of the YA Retelling, I know what it should be. Elated, I rocked out and drove on.

Historically, I am terrible with picking out titles. I am one of those writers who can't force a story or a character. I prefer for the names and personalities to present themselves. It's so hippie of me, I know. But how can you pick two or three words to represent the 70,000 you wrote? In Young Adult there is even a trend toward one word titles. Not that we should all follow the trends but marketing is something to keep in mind.

I am so pleased with having a title, I had to google it to see if there were any books already published with the same one. So far, I think we are in the clear. I also had another idea in the afterglow of my title epiphany.

I mention how I use music as inspiration and encouragement a lot on here, and starting tomorrow I am going to post videos of songs I listen to while writing. If you like it, it may become a Wednesday tradition.

0 comments:

Post a Comment