Monday, August 15, 2011

Book Report Monday: Passion, #3 in Lauren Kate's Fallen Series


Title: Passion, Book #3 in the Fallen Series

Author: Lauren Kate

Genre: Young Adult Paranormal Romance

Synopsis Luce would die for Daniel.
 
And she has. Over and over again. Throughout time, Luce and Daniel have found each other, only to be painfully torn apart: Luce dead, Daniel left broken and alone. But perhaps it doesn’t need to be that way. . . .
 
Luce is certain that something—or someone—in a past life can help her in her present one. So she begins the most important journey of this lifetime . . . going back eternities to witness firsthand her romances with Daniel . . . and finally unlock the key to making their love last.
Cam and the legions of angels and Outcasts are desperate to catch Luce, but none are as frantic as Daniel. He chases Luce through their shared pasts, terrified of what might happen if she rewrites history.
 
Because their romance for the ages could go up in flames . . . forever.
 
Sweeping across centuries, PASSION is the third novel in the unforgettably epic FALLEN series. (from Goodreads)


Fallen, Book 1
Why did I pick it up?: By now you may have noticed, I'm a sucker for a nice cover and I liked the covers for the series. I've got a hair obsession. Also, I have heard a lot about YA books dealing with Fallen Angels but I haven't read one so, I decided it was time to jump on that bandwagon.

Torment, Book 2


Favorite Lines: "What do you have on under there? Are those Converse? You've got to be kidding me with those."

Okay, so it's probably the least romantic line in the book, but I love Converse and I laughed out loud at this part. Luce just travelled back to 18th century England and her, we'll call him her time travel assistant, is teasing her for her choice of footwear.



My Review: First, I made the mistake of assuming the Fallen Series is a trilogy, which is very popular right now with Young Adult Series. I realized I was wrong toward the last few pages of Passion, when it became clear there was going to be a bit of a cliffhanger ending. My Nook informed me that the fourth and final book in the Fallen Series, Rapture, would be released in June of 2012.

Another disappointment for me was the hair thing. Lucinda is depicted on the each cover with these gorgeous black tresses, particularly on Torment. In the books, however the present incarnation of Lucinda has very short hair. Obviously, not a big issue, I just prefer when covers are more straightforward.

Overall, I enjoyed all three books. I know a lot of people were annoyed with Passion being a prequel, but I didn't mind. To me, it didn't feel like a prequel at all. Yeah, Lucinda travels backward through her past lives and the stories of her former incarnations are explained but her story continued moving forward. The cliffhanger ending definitely had me wishing I already had a copy of Rapture on my Nook.

Recommendation: Fast, fun reads. They are great for a beach weekend.

Next Week: TBD.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, this sort of relates to one of your earlier blogs about sex in YA novels. When I was teaching middle school, I gave a book to the student of the month from my class each month. The only book I was asked to buy and refused to get was Fallen. I had not read the book and didn't have time to before I had to give it to the student. But the cover said "sex" or "sexy" like fifteen times. (I am pretty sure it was that book.) I didn't know what to do! I hated censoring the prize but I didn't have time to read it before I had to give it to her! So what do you think Monica, appropriate for a 6th grader or not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think it depends on the 6th grader. If they are mature, it would be fine. There is a lot of gushing over the gorgeous fallen angel and some kissing, but there's no sex or mention of sex like in the Twilight Series.

    If it was my kid, I would buy it for them, but I wouldn't be comfortable buying it from someone else's kid. Definitely as a teacher I would have been hesitant to give it to a 6th grader.

    ReplyDelete