Friday, January 27, 2012

Fun Friday with the Flu and (not) Failing

I spent last weekend watching Spongebob Squarepants with my nephew and prepping the last few pages of my book for my critique partners.

 Monday afternoon, however, I was walking around the office saying, "My voice sounds funny, doesn't it?" and "I think I'm getting sick." I went home and chugged some Airborne. Then I spoke to my sister and it turns out, my nephew was sick as well. "Awesome!"

Tuesday afternoon and all of Wednesday I was in bed. Fortunately, for a girl who loves to read, being sick ain't so bad.

I was finishing Beastly when I remembered the line from The Little White Horse that Jo Rowling loves,


"Humanity can be roughly divided into three sorts of people -- those who find comfort in literature, those who find comfort in personal adornment and those who find comfort in food."


If there was any doubt which sort I was before this bout of the flu, there shouldn't be any longer. Nothing really compares to getting lost in fiction. Especially when I'm feeling awful. I read and slept off my sickness. I still sound "kind of funny" but I feel pretty good.

Which is convenient since today I took a test for my job. I won't bore you with the mathematics or the ins and outs of retirement benefits administration. I was nervous because everyone in the office was saying how I could study while I was home sick...were they messing with me or are they crazy? Who puts on sweatpants and curls up in bed with a practice examination? I mean, I studied. I studied every day this week, but not all day.

I was worried my Nyquil clouded brain may have failed to absorb all the information. The drowsying effects of cold medicine notwithstanding, some studying must have stuck because I passed. Yay! Pop the bubbly!

You got me, this picture is not from today. It's from my last birthday. But I felt the same excitement and I may have pulled that tiara out of shoe box and done a happy dance...And do you see my dog? He's in every picture that gets taken in my apartment. How does he do that?

Now I can focus on concert ticket snagging, my upcoming trip to New Mexico, learning French and reviewing the notes from my critique partners. Then it'll be time for a round of beta readers to actually read my book and I feel much better about this draft...so far.

Hope you have a fabulous weekend and take your vitamins, there's something going around.

0 comments:

Post a Comment