Friday, September 2, 2011

Completed . . . well sorta.

I have finished editing my rough draft. Cue the dance party.




Okay, enough of that.

By finished, I mean I am done with this round of edits. There remains a great deal of editing ahead.

My rough draft was completed in May and at that time it was 61,000 words. Now my...dare I call it a first draft? Well, I don't mind if I do. My first draft is 72,000 words. Phew, that's a lot of additions, but it is for the best, the rough draft was really bare bones in places.

I feel good. I am going to send the current draft to some betas, keep at it with my rockin' critique group and switch my focus to my new project.

Which brings me to my new project, which I have been oh-so-eager to start. The way I feel about this unwritten story is like the beginning of a love affair. I am giddy whenever I think or talk about it and I could really see us going the long haul together. There will be pitfalls eventually and we'll fight but how can I think about that now when it is all so perfect? After months of editing, which is much more akin couple's counseling I am beyond ecstatic to sit down and write.


"I thought we were in the trust tree in the nest, were we not?"

I cheated twice and wrote a few paragraphs. Nothing huge, just scenes that wouldn't leave me alone. I also began some research and wrote my query letter, it's not perfect but it captures the story well enough.

Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday weekend.

I intend to spend it laboring over my Netbook.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on finishing your edits, Monica! And yaaay for new projects! (I'm about to start on my new one as well.)

    As my appreciation for you being a great critique partner, I've given you a blog award here:
    http://lylawrites.blogspot.com/2011/09/blog-awards-galore.html

    Happy writing and I look forward to reading more of your pages once we get this whole splitting business straight.

    ReplyDelete